The first Saturday of the month equals: Author Interview! I think this is probably the part I enjoy most about the reviews and the Indies blog. So give a big Indies welcome to M.L. Ryan who gave me the scoop on my questions about Special Offers.
1. Alright, this is going to sound crazy, but I have to know– where did you come up with the job of Chinchilla Milking?
I’d like to be able to say the idea was completely a product of my weird imagination. However – and this may sound crazy – at one point, I actually milked rats. Not for cheese; it was part of nutritional research. And when you have something that bizarre in your personal resume, it cries out to be worked into a story line. I made Hailey a chinchilla-milker because they are much cuter than rats, and it seemed like people would be more likely to buy chinchilla-milk cheese than rat-milk cheese.
2. You mentioned multiple things that made the Courso’s different from humans, speed, strength, magical abilities. Are there any additional big differences that make being a Courso more awesome then being human?
Speed and strength are not the only differences, some of which are described in the second book, Special Rewards. My personal favorite is transcendental arousal, the ability to stimulate one’s partner without physically touching them. It brings new meaning to phone sex.
3. At one point Alex presents Hailey as a woman impregnated by Sebastian to keep Sebastian’s current residence in Hailey’s body a secret. My question is can Courso’s really knock up a Human? If so, are their more Courso/human hybrids and will we get to meet any?
Yep, it is quite possible for Coursos and humans to mate and produce offspring, and it is something that has occurred fairly often (although not as a result of transcendental arousal, thank heavens). They are referenced in Special Rewards and readers will get to meet some in an future book.
4. How many books do you have planned for this series? Will they all include Hailey or will we get to go on adventures with other Courso’s?
I have plans for six. One will focus on Sebastian and another on Alex’s sister, Tannis, who plays a larger role in the second book. The rest will continue to follow Hailey as she learns to deal with the after effects of sharing her body with Sebastian.
5. Do you have any plans for future books outside of the The Coursodon Dimension series? Do they involved keeping to the same universe?
I have a number of other ideas that are related to the Coursodon Dimension, but with an entirely different set of characters and darker plots.
Scientist by day, paranormal romance-urban fantasy author by night, M.L. Ryan is a professional woman – which is not to say that she gave up her amateur status, but rather that she is over-educated with a job that reflects her one-time reluctance to leave school and get “real” work – and she spends a lot of time in that profession reading highly technical and dry material. In an attempt to strengthen the other side of her brain, M.L decided to write some of the many stories rolling around in her head. M.L. Ryan lives in Tucson, Arizona with her husband and teenage son, four cats, two dogs and two adopted desert tortoises.