1. What was your inspiration for this book?
I grew up reading Harry Potter, and I loved the idea of such an epic story. While Descendant: The Protector introduces the characters, the rest of the series becomes so much bigger. Jason is only just beginning to realize what he’s up against by the end of the first book. When I was younger I wanted to be the young boy who realizes he’s more than what meets the eye, and Jason really is special. I also enjoyed my fair share of vampire tales growing up, from Dracula to Stephen King’s ’Salem’s Lot. My writing isn’t just influenced by books, but also by movies. In fact, I have written a screenplay of my first book.
2. Did you have any difficulty writing a story with so many secondary characters?
What were some of the challenges you faced? I’m actually pretty good at keeping my characters all together in my head. That’s really my biggest problem: I know them all so well that sometimes I don’t realize other people might not be able to keep track of them all. Descendant: The Protector goes through multiple points of views of these characters, while the next books really cut down on the jumping around. Jason was just too helpless in the first book to see everything that was going on.
3. Descendant is set in a futuristic United States, and there are a bunch of different terms used to describe the differences between the species — do you plan on adding glossary and map to your books or website to help readers navigate these differences easily?
Yes, I’m working on creating a map of the U.S. and where all the quarantine zones are. I also plan on creating a glossary (probably to add to my website) of all the characters and different creatures that appear throughout the series.
4. What do you want readers to take away from your books? And after The Descendant Series what do you plan on writing next?
I love nothing more than to get lost in a story, and I’m hoping that readers will do the same in my books. I’m not looking to change viewpoints, or to point out religious or political issues. I just want readers to enjoy the story I’ve created. The next book I’m planning on writing is going to be a fantasy, set in a land ravaged by magical warfare. It’s going to be YA, following a young prince as he attempts to stifle an uprising.
5. You’ve already got the 2nd book in the Descendant Series available, when can readers expect the 3rd book?
The third book, Descendant: The Black Wolf, has been completed, but as of now it’s still in editing. I’m hoping to have a release date within the next few weeks.